August 21, 2006

Coober's Pedy and Adelaide

The distances here in Australia are amazing. Adelaide was once again some 1500 kilometers away. So I decided this time to spent a night in Coober's Pedy because I heard some people talking about it. Coober's Pedy is a mining-area for opal, a precious colored looking stone. Many Australians made a fortune there starting in 1915. As it gets more than 50 degrees celsius in summer people commenced to use the old mines as there homes or just dugged their own home. The backpackers I stayed in was also under the ground, some 10 meters. It was an interesting experience and the sandstone gave a good looking pattern - a brownish red white design. There are some good stories about people living there. For example there is this one guy living with his wife and a daughter in one of those underground houses. And everytime his wife needs something new he just digs in his house, enlarging the living room at the same time, until he finds some opal he can sell for a heck of a lot of money...One day was definately enough. I looked at an old mine and went to the annual horse racing which filled the day well. At night the bus to Adelaide left at 6 and wow, the bus driver was not one of the politest one...This time I did not care to much, sat in the very back, red a lot, watched the orange moon rising and eventually went to sleep after a good night beer. I arrived early in the morning in Adelaide and checked into the same hostel as Oli. We got along well so I was happy to have somebody I knew there. I even was in the same dorm. We had a nice time there, I spent three nights. On the fist day Oli showed me around, on the second day I had to do some shopping, although I was short of money, because I had to get a pair of jeans and a winter jacket - I was tired of freezing. It was an outlet mall, so things were cheap and I once again happy. Adelaide was the first town since to weeks that had some sort of civilization and hey, I liked it there. On the way back from the mall I jumped of the
bus at the beach, walked along the beach, called my gorgeous girl, and hopped on the bus again to Adelaide. The next day I went to Glenelg, a suburb of Adelaide were I spent the time on the pia, reading, writing postcards and seeing the first sunset in my life during which the sun sets at the horizon, sinking into the sea. Satisfied I went home and left early the next morning with the train to Melbourne - again an interesting experience...

No comments: