July 29, 2006

Bali - my last destination in South East Asia

My last stop in South East Asia is Bali - twelve days one of the most wonderful places I have ever been to. I arrived late on 19 July and knew exactly where I wanted to go to. I went to Sanur, the town I spent four and a half weeks in 2001. From those weeks I haven't any pictures because I lost my camera. I remembered a lot though and know I am happy that I took a hell of a lot of pictures during the last twelve days. I checked into a guesthouse and took some money (I was a millionaire at that time 1.500.000 Rupiah :) and checked out the next bar for the first drink. The next day I looked for the house we stayed at in 2001 without any map, just by memories - and after one hour of walking I did find the place. I rang the bell and the same nice person opened the gate who used to prepare a fresh mango juice for me every morning. I was very happy! The next morning I left for Ubud which is further in the north. There you will find palm tree forests and the most beautiful rice fields ever. I had a nice guest house up there for the next six days and spent most of the time with locals and in the Putra Bar, the only place to meet people in Ubud. I did several excursions on a motorcycle from there...went to Mount Batur, a vulcano that last erupted in 1945, got to meet a local's family where I ate Balinese style, i.e. with fingers - and hey, that is not as easy as it sounds, I made a big mess :) After that we went fishing at the black lava beach where I bought a 2.5 kg heavy tuna fish. They made it for me at night over an open fire in the guest house - that was so cool. I learned about them, their culture, Hinduism etc. And even though they have strict rules in Hinduism the teenies in the end behave like "Western" teenies *g* I had a great time in Ubud and stayed a day longer as planned. From there, one of the locals took me to Seminyak with his motorcycle. Seminyak is north of Kuta (the most aweful place on Bali...) and has a nice beach and high waves. On my way back from the beach on the first day here I saw some desperate Austrian girls looking for accommodation. So I told them where I stay and we ended up being neighbours. That night we went out to get some drinks and with one of the girls I ended up going to Kuta to the Bounty Disco (a disco that looks like an old sailing ship). We had lots of fun there and walked back at 5 o'clock, went to the beach and into the water, came back, had some more beers and went to bed at half past eight - she in hers and I in mine :). I had great fun!!! The next day started late and I realized that I had troubles with my stomach. First I thought it was because of the alcohol, now I know that my stomach is screwed up...I do not what, but I hope it is getting better soon. Today I went to Putra Tanah Lot, a temple on a big stone in the sea. There I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets in my life - just amazing! I wanted to take pictures but unfortunately my batteries were empty...Luckily I met a nice Korean couple who borrowed me some and as soon as I put the pics online you can see what I mean. Tomorrow is my last day here and I will visit another temple which is situated on a cliff - very beautiful. If you plan your next vacation: Think of going to Bali, it is a very wonderful place!!! In about 24 hours I will change continents and go to Australia...

No comments: