July 26, 2006

Singapur - a city, a country, and an island

The last three days of our travel, Uli and I spent in Singapur. The ride with the nightbus was rather annoying. It was a very comfortable bus being also a host to many small cockroaches crawling all over the place leaving at midnight. At 3:30a.m. we had to "check out" from Malaysia and some thirty minutes later we "checked into" Singapur going through the same procedure when we came from Thailand to Malaysia. We arrived really tired at ten to five and walked our way to Little India where we luckily found some drunken Irish guys who were sitting in front of their guesthouse. It had a small area with bean bags and they let us in (you needed a key for that) and we spent the rest of the night on the bean bags. Surprisingly, as the hall filled with people, nobody really cared about us and we had nothing to pay for that "overnight stay". So we checked into the most expensive of all guesthouses we have had so far and went up to our beds placed in a dormatory. The price included breakfast and we had a kitchen, a pool table, and free Internet access (which broke down most of the time - maybe that is why it was for free :) I liked the guesthouse a lot and I think it was one you find everywhere in Australia. I am looking forward to that. The other half of the first day we spent in Orchard Road, once again a street full of malls. Which was good because I tried to wash my shoes in the guesthouse, with real soap to get rid of the bad smell of mud and jungle, when I had to realize that the part where your food stands on started to dissolve. So I just threw them away and got new Vans for just 25 Euros - lucky me :) Uli and I decided to go to the movies at night to watch Pirates of the Caribbean II and so we bought two tickets. The movie started at 10 p.m. and we wanted to buy some popcorn. We standing in line when Uli suddenly said: "Look Jan, I think we know those two!" pointing at a guy and a girl waiting in the line next to us. I did not believe what I saw there - we said good-bye to them in Tama Negara being sure we would never see them again and then, somewhere in Singapur, we meet again those two in South Korea Studying Germans...So we spent the night with them and as it turned out, they lived in a guesthouse next door to ours...We got to bed really late that night. The next day we again did some sightseeing, sneaked into a 60 story high building to enjoy the breathtaking view over Singapur (Thanx Maggi for sharing this "secret place" with us) and walked along some nice buildings ending up in a former WW2-Bunker where the Singapurians decided to surrender to Japan in 1942. I have to admit that I did not think that Singapur was as clean as everybody says eventhough you have those high fines for littering. At some points we saw ten signs telling you what you are not supposed to be doing always telling you the fine if you still did it. There was one telling you if you rode a bike at that place you are fined 500 Euros - imagine that in Freiburg - all students would go bankrupt :) The next day was Wednesday - the day Uli and I had to say good-bye. It came so suddenly and at this point once again: Thank you very much Uli for the last ten and a half weeks. I had a great time with you and was happy about the bracelet you gave me. Hope you got one for you too :) Keep in touch body! Later I made my way to the airport, bought to beers from my last Singapurian dollars and went on the plane to Bali - all by myself :(...

No comments: